Monday, May 5, 2008

placemats


My mother has had the most hideous placemats on her kitchen table for as long as I can remember. They are crocheted in a teal and avocado acrylic yarn, and they are incredibly grungy. For years I tried to get her to upgrade; I even bought her a set of lovely linen placemats, but she refused to use them. Once when my Auntie Anne was visiting us, she and I were sitting at the kitchen table and the following conversation took place:

Auntie Anne: Your mother has had these placemats for 30 years!

Me : I know! Aren't these the ugliest placemats you've ever seen in your life?

Auntie Anne: I made these placemats.

At any rate, I am hoping that if I make her a replacement set, perhaps Auntie Anne's will finally be retired. So this is what I whipped up yesterday (made from a free pattern that I found online.) If mom agrees to use them, then a set of matching napkins will be coming her way, too!

1 comment:

Michele said...

Auntie Anne is going to love you for hammering home the ugly comment. Nothing like unabashed insult.