Thursday, February 3, 2011


My slinky ribs sweater is no more. There were just too many problems with it, and it was too big. My closet space in Paris is at a premium, so I couldn't have an unwearable garment taking up space in it, not to mention the fact that this yarn was really too expensive to waste. So last night I stayed up until 4:00 am turning it into this:If I get motivated today maybe I'll de-kink the yarn so I can start knitting with it soon.On the train from Stuttgart to Paris, I made some good progress on my Ishbel shawl (not that you can tell anything from this picture.)

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

fo: ribbed baby jacket

I started this sweater for a friend's baby about two weeks ago, but had to rip out and start over twice because I hadn't gotten gauge and it was coming out way too big. I started the final version the day before I left to see my friends and the majority of it was knitted on my 3.5 hour train ride to Stuttgart.Pattern: ribbed baby jacket from Prima July 2005 (free download)
Yarn: Knitpicks Main Line cypress, a bit less than 4 balls
Needles: 8 (5mm)
Size: ultimately the 3 to 6 month size, even though Anton is 13 months!
Gauge: couldn't really tell you, even though I swatched. Something significantly less than 4.5 stitches per inch.The only modifications I made (other than blatantly ignoring the recommended gauge and just knitting several sizes smaller than the desired size) were to not bother going down a needle size for the collar (since I didn't have a size 7 needle with me) and instead picking up fewer stitches than called for along the neckline. I think I picked up about 100 stitches instead of 120.
And I also knit a buttonhole into the ribbed edging since I thought it would look good with a single big wooden button closure. Unfortunately, we didn't get the button before I left town so Anton's mom is going to have to get one and sew it on herself.